Monday, December 29, 2008

So Many Comic Books, So Little Space

I've been reading and collecting amusing books for more than old age than I can count. Without the childhood distraction/addiction of picture gambling systems, I focused my attending on the in progress escapades of Spider-Man, Captain America, Batman, the Antic Four, and Ten Men.

And it didn't halt there. It seemed like every month, I would detect some new strain of superhero that demanded my attending (and my allowance). While ma was stockpiling her precious "Better Homes and Gardens" and my blood brother was stashing away "National Geographic", I was assemblage an impressive stock list of the best narratives in the human race of amusing book heroes.

The thing about amusing books is that a true fan never outgrows them. You can separate with your skateboard or bicycle. You can insert away your high school annual and your social class ring. Material can travel off to the farthest corners of your attic, never to be seen again (until you move), and the old proverb of "out of sight, out of mind" peals true.

But not my amusing books. I've spent far too many old age with this circle of friends to give them to paper-eating creatures that scamper around the loft and cellar of my house. Oh no ... these beauties are lovingly preserved in plastic sleeves, protected from the onslaught of senseless devastation by this almost unseeable shell. The Anglesey Lisa have infrared lasers. I have got boxes of sheet protectors.

What make you make with a cherished aggregation when it goes so big that you are trying to make up one's mind between keeping your income taxation tax returns and personal records in your data file cabinets or your first 50 transcripts of Spider-Man comics? How likely is the Internal Revenue Service to come up looking for me and my 2002 taxation return? Are it really deserving pickings up cherished space when Simon Peter Charlie Parker necessitates me?

I tried three-ring binders. They worked great! One reaper binder per superhero. Then, one reaper binder per superhero, per year. And the old age passed. Not only did I have got old age and old age worth of amusing books, but I establish that I was adding more than statute titles to my collection. Bash you have got any thought how much a heap of reaper binders can weigh? Ask the moving man. Helium was a Wonder Comics fanatical so he didn't complain. In fact, he admired my aggregation and treated it like the glasswork from the kitchen.

At long last, I did the unthinkable. I logged onto eBay and listed a few amusing books. It was like giving up a member of the family. But then I discovered that I wasn't losing a amusing book but gaining a friend. The purchasers I encountered were as enthralled with amusing books as I am. I was helping them carry through their demand for more than great reading. It was, I imagine, like donating a kidney to person in demand of a lifesaving organ. I had go a kind of do-gooder. We swapped narratives along with payments, and I establish myself buying a few more than than books from my buyers.

The adjacent thing you know, I was buying more than I was selling. I had long ago moved my aggregation from the big data file cabinet to an even bigger bookcase - until my seemingly hardy bookcase caved into the weight of the infinite binders. So I did what I should have got done all along. I bought a larger bookcase.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home